Matawan Aberdeen Middle School
Grade 8 Math ~ Mrs. Wangen
Dear Students, Parents and/or Guardians,
Welcome to 8th grade! My name is Mrs. Wangen and I will be your math teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. My hopes are to make this year as “normal” as possible, while still keeping each and every one of you safe. I look forward to getting to know each of you throughout the school year. Below is a summary of my expectations for all of my students. I will discuss these in more detail in class. Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns. Please sign the last page after you’ve read the expectations and return it to class. Please keep the first page as reference.
- You will need the following items for class each day: charged chromebook, 3-ring binder (only to be used for math class!), loose-leaf paper, graph paper, and pencils (you must be able to erase mistakes). You are also encouraged to have your own dry-erase maker and eraser, however I will also have them for shared-use.
- A scientific calculator is needed for homework purposes (preferably a TI-34).
- You will have access to an online textbook. If you would like a hard-copy, please let me know via email.
- Classwork/Homework will typically be assigned daily and posted on our google classroom.
- No late work will be accepted for credit. Except in the case of an absence: For each day you are absent, you will have one day to make up missing homework.
- Electronic Homework is due by the start of the school day. Paper-based work must be on your desk at the beginning of class.
- You must show your work to receive credit.
- No partial credit will be given. You must complete the entire assignment.
Notes and Binders:
Your binder should be neat, organized & complete. Everything must have your name & date.
Your binder will be graded! There will be periodic UNANNOUNCED notebook quizzes through each marking period. These quizzes will assess your participation by checking for complete and accurate work. This includes do-nows, notes, classwork, and homework.
You must copy the notes you miss every time you are not in class. You need to learn the material you missed and failure to do so will lower your notebook quiz grades!
50% TESTS 35% QUIZZES and PROJECTS 15% HOMEWORK/CLASSWORK
By the end of this class, you will be able to:
- Simplify and solve expressions and equations
- Understand and analyze functions and proportional relationships
- Utilize transformations and volume of geometric figures
- Implement the solving of systems of linear equations into complex and real life situations.
- You must make up the notes you missed, as well as any missed classwork/homework.
- Please email me in the morning when you are going to be absent. I will do my best to provide you with the information you will miss. I also encourage you to exchange numbers with a classmate.
- Be prepared to make up any missed tests or quizzes when you return to school!
- Quarantining students should attend class virtually. Please note, a google meet will ONLY be opened when a student in our class has been directed by the school to quarantine. If you are too sick to attend the google meet, please email me for other arrangements.
- Be on Time. You are expected to be in your assigned seat and start the Do-Now by the time the bell rings. Pencils should be sharpened before the bell rings.
- Be Prepared. You need your binder (with paper!) and chromebook (CHARGED!) every day.
- Be Respectful. Respect all people and property. Use appropriate language and behavior at all times. Follow directions the first time they are given. Wear your mask properly.
- Raise your Hand, and wait to be called on. Do not talk out of turn.
- Math work must be done in pencil. Mistakes are okay if we can erase them!
- Do not disrupt the learning environment!
- Tests will always be announced. Quizzes may be given unannounced.
- Assessments may vary between paper-based and electronic.
- A cumulative final will be given at the end of the year.
*All grades will be posted on the portal in a timely manner. This includes tests, quizzes, projects, classwork and homework assignments. Please check the portal on a regular basis (at least weekly) to stay updated on student progress throughout the year.
*During class, unless otherwise instructed, cell phones should remain unseen and unheard. If a student is found using their cell phone, it will be taken away, as per district policy.
*In the event that students are instructed to use their cell phones for the purposes of a class activity, they are only to be used as instructed. If a student is found to be using their technology inappropriately or unrelated to the assignment, the cell phone will be taken away, as per district policy.