INTERACTIVE SCIENCE NOTEBOOK (ISN)ISN Presentation - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1csNzj4B4IcsE4AShNYVjlpV5YJnCVzqJcNO6sfNDNuI/edit?usp=sharingWhat is the purpose of Interactive Student/Science Notebooks?
To transform students' notebooks into portfolios of individual learning
To make note taking an engaging, creative, & active process
To provide the opportunity to process what is learned in creative & individual ways
The Students' Perspective
Claim ownership & responsibility for their notebooks
Choose the way to learn based on their learning style and multiple intelligence strengths
Organize as they learn Do not lose work Are allowed to be creative without "messing up" their notes
The Teachers' Perspective
Enables critical self-evaluation of curriculum
Monitor student progress easily
Parent-teacher communication toolReduce time spent evaluating work
Interactive Science Notebook Guidelines
- Interactive Science Notebooks allows the student to interact with the teacher directed information in individual ways.
- The Interactive student notebook is an effective teaching strategy because it turns student notebooks into meaningful and personalized records of learning.
- Development of organizational skills
- Development of critical thinking skills
- Opportunity for students to express their understanding of the material creatively
WHAT YOUR NOTEBOOK SHOULD LOOK LIKE
I. First page on right: Table of Contents
Should have date of entry, title of entry, and page number
II. The right side.
The right side of the notebook is teacher directed.
On the right side of your Interactive Notebook:
1. Always start the page with the date and subject title at the top of the page
- Identify information given in class (vocabulary, notes, etc.)
- Include notes on a lecture
- notes on a lab
- notes on an assigned reading
- notes on a video
- notes on a read aloud
- notes from a small group or large group discussion
- notes and assignments from an Internet Web Quest
- Worksheet or Textbook assignment copied or glued into the notebook
III. The left side
This is what shows your understanding of the lesson.
On the left side of your Interactive Notebook:
1. Always use color!
- You will have a choice of the following prompts
- What’s the best way to remember this topic
- Write the lyrics for a song or rap on this topic
- Make vocabulary cartoons from this topic
- Paraphrase (rewrite in your own words) this information
- Create an analogy and visual for this topic
- Write and solve problems using this information (will be used mostly with force and motion unit)
- Use a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast the topics
- What do I already know about this topic
- Make a visual illustration (drawing) explaining this topic
- Write a poem on this topic
- Write a mnemonic device to help you remember this information
- Use graphic organizers to reorganize this information
- Create a mind map from notes.
- Create charts and graphs from notes.
- Write a newspaper article about the topic.
- Write a letter or post card from a famous scientist that is connected with the topic, for example, Isaac Newton might write about Newton’s Laws.
- Any other ideas you might have to help you remember information, must be approved my teacher before entering it into notebook.
How will my notebook be graded?
Notebooks are collected and graded at the end of each unit. Notebooks will be graded on thoroughness, quality, organization, and visual appeal. Students will receive an assessment list to help them understand how the notebook will be scored. Remember, if an assignment is not taped in, I don't see it!!
An important part of your notebook is its visual appearance. Your notebook should be neat! Your artistic touch should be visible throughout the notebook.
You may also use a classroom copy (maintained by the teacher) to update your notebook.
What do I do if I am absent?
If you are absent, it is your responsibility to obtain the assignments from a homework partner or the instructor. Find a buddy from this class and exchange phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses so that you can help each other stay current!