5 Great Comprehension Strategies to Help Your Child Build Comprehension:
1. When reading to your child, stop periodically and say, “Let’s see if we remember what I just read. Think about who the story was about and what happened.” Do this 3 or 4 times throughout the story.
2. Place sticky notes to signal different stopping places in the story where your child can stop and jot a prediction or a question.
3. Encourage your child to use prior knowledge to make connections to the text.
4. Model backing up and rereading when meaning breaks down.
5. Model making vivid pictures in your mind and verbalize these mental image during reading.