Welcome to Mrs. Brereton's ClassWelcome to Basic Skills.
Reading at Home Can Make a HUGE Difference!
Choose books that are at an appropriate reading level for your child.
Make reading a part of your family time!Family time is so important... Why not make reading part of this valuable time with your kids? Here are some tips for integrating reading into our daily family activities:
- Use the five finger rule. Open the book to any page and ask your child to read. Put up a finger every time your child does not know a word. If you have put up more than five fingers before the end of the page, this book is too hard for your child.
- Choose books that match your child's likes and interests.
- Read bedtime stories
- Play a board game
- Visit your local library
- Read a recipe and cook something yummy together!
- Create a comfy reading space in your home
- Put your child in charge of reading the grocery list at the store
Keep plenty of reading materials in your home:
- comic books
- cook books
Last Modified on September 23, 2019